In a word…..NO!
Nothing drives me more crazy than the following scenario:
- I see a blog post that really draws my interest.
- I read the post and all of the comments that have already been written.
- I am totally excited about what I’m reading and I can’t wait to put my two cents in and join the conversation.
- I type out a well conceived comment.
- I hit the Post Comment button ready to see my comment added to the lively conversation.
- Instead of seeing my post live, I get the dreaded “You’re comment is being held for moderation” window.
Now I can see this for Huffington Post and other sites, where they get thousands of comments per article.
But for small blogs, why would you EVER want to moderate your comments?
The idea of a blog is to voice your opinion and then open the forum to all types of feedback.
That is why you blog. To get a reaction.
You can always go back and remove the comment if need be (though I recommend against it).
Keep it open and you’ll be surprised at how many more comments you will eventually get.